This steel body is filled with a smoke composition.
The composition was ignited by the flash of the firing rifle that projected this grenade with the use of a lauching cup.
Introduced for service in 1935, it's use was ended in 1945.
Text on the cover of the grenade shown below:
" REMOVE BEFORE LOADING CPP in a triangle 9/42 "